IÉSEG School of Management invites applications for a 18-month, fully funded Postdoctoral position in Management Accounting and Control with the emphasis on qualitative and sociological approaches at its Paris campus starting as soon as possible.
The postdoctoral researcher will join a team led by Associate Professor Aziza Laguecir to work on multiple ongoing and new research projects. These projects seek to conceptually and empirically, expand the emergent academic understanding of the processes of management control, adopting qualitative sociological perspectives, including a close examination of fraud, accounting and corporate scandals, surveillance and ethical aspects, and more broadly sociological dynamics of management control systems. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to integrate international research team and to engage in innovative research projects with high potential of publication in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Have a Ph.D. (or be close to completion) in management accounting or control. He/she is expected to possess strong conceptual and analytical qualitative methods skills and have a commitment to research excellence.
- Applicants should be completely fluent in English. Prior knowledge of French is not required.
- Experience in conducting theoretical and/or empirical research using conceptual and qualitative methods in one or more of the following areas is requested:
- Sociological approaches (e.g. Bourdieu, Callon & Latour, Schatzki …). Awareness and use of dramaturgical analysis (Goffman framework), is also desirable;
- Management accounting professions and occupations, sociology of professions; A strong interest on fraud and surveillance studies would be appreciated.
- Strong training in qualitative methods, including ethnography, interviews, observation, and archival data collection, management, and analysis. The ideal candidate will have experience with post-modernist perspectives on qualitative methods.
- Ability to manage time, resources, data, and details of multiple projects is also required.
- Experience with external funding and grant application is a plus.
The selected applicant is expected to begin his/her assignment as soon as possible. Gross salary will be competitive with other European research and academic institutions. The researcher will be based in Paris (on the site of IESEG School of Management in La Défense).
The candidate will be working directly with Associate Professor Aziza Laguecir. She studies management accounting as practices, fraud and surveillance. His work appears notably in Organization Studies, Critical Perspectives on Accounting, Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Accounting Horizons, British Journal of Management Journal of Management Development, International Studies in Management and Organization. The candidate will also have the opportunity to work with other management accounting and control faculty at IESEG and to engage with other prominent scholars in the Paris area. In addition, the candidate with have the opportunity to engage an international network of scholars specializing in the areas of management accounting and control and ethics and to engage in international scholarly network opportunities.
Interested applicants need to send their application package, consisting of a cover letter including a statement that describes your motivation for working in this area, curriculum vitae, job market paper, and the names, affiliations, and email addresses of three referees (and possibly letters of recommendation). These materials should be merged into a single PDF document bearing the applicant’s name and the reference code “MAC-Postdoc” reserved for this opening, and submitted by e-mail at
For any further question, please contact us by e-mail.
We will begin considering candidates immediately and will continue until the position is filled. We encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.
ABOUT IÉSEG SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT
- IÉSEG is AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA accredited and is a member of the “Conférence des Grandes Écoles.”
- The IÉSEG Research Center is accredited by the French National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS).
- IÉSEG’s faculty is very diverse with more than 40 different nationalities represented.